The main reason for what we do
Every three months, we will come together to create an impact within the community, and we do this through the selection of a local charity. Along with our donation, we also promote awareness for these charities.
Only members of 100 Men Who Give A Damn! – NL are eligible to nominate a charity/organization. There is no proxy voting.
In order to be considered to present at a meeting, the charity must be:
- Based in the St. John’s Metro Region
- A registered charitable organization able to provide charitable tax receipts for donations. Please check the CRA website to verify.
- Previously established for at least one year (no start-ups).
- No national or international charities, programs or organizations will be considered at this time as the focus is on contributing to our local community. Organizations with a national link may be nominated, however, provided the request is for a project to be delivered in St. John’s Metro Region. The funds must stay in the area.
- Programs within a large organization (e.g., a specific department or program within a hospital), will be considered, if there is proof that this program is not funded by the organization or its foundation.
Members of 100 Men Who Give A Damn! – NL may nominate a charitable organization for consideration upon joining and may change/update their nomination once per year.
- Three (3) members, whose nominations were previously verified as eligible by the core volunteers, will be selected by blind draw two weeks prior to an event.
- Once notified of their selection, selected members are asked to keep their participation strictly confidential prior to the meeting.
- The three selected members will have up to five minutes to present to the group their reasons for nominating their charity of choice and why that charity should receive the donations from that meeting (without the aid of props, slides, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Members of 100 Men Who Give A Damn – NL will vote by secret ballot to select one of the three nominated charities to receive all the donations that evening.
- The organization with the greatest number of votes will be the recipient of the total funds donated and will be ineligible to receive funds from 100 Men Who Give A Damn – NL for two (2) years.
- The two charities not selected may be nominated again in one year’s time.
- The nominated charities must agree in advance of the meeting to send tax receipts directly to each of the donating members.
- The recipient charity must on first contact with each donor, ask how frequently the donor can be contacted in the future. Charities are not to assume the donors wish to be on the charity’s mailing list.
- A request will be made of the recipient charity to present an update on their use of the donation at the next meeting of 100 Men Who Give A Damn – NL.
Note: 100 Men Who Give A Damn – NL reserves the right to amend these eligibility criteria when appropriate, without consultation with the nominated charities.
The next event is coming soon!