We Give a Damn
A simple concept. A big impact.
Driven by the desire to make a difference, and adopting our model from similar organizations within Canada, we have created an organization that is capable of doing great things within our community.
We are not registered; we have no directors, officers, or treasurer; we have no bank account because we don’t collect, spend, or donate anything – it’s our members who make the donations directly to the registered charities. The group and its events are run on a budget of zero by a core team of big-hearted volunteers and with the assistance of some very generous sponsors, who coincidentally also give a damn.
The goal of the group is to support the wonderful work our local charities do, in funds, exposure, and awareness.
How It Works
- Charities are nominated by the membership. There are eligibility requirements.
- Three randomly selected members that have submitted nominations for a particular charity will be asked to make a presentation, of up to five minutes, to the group about that charity’s initiative and why it is deserving of your vote.
- The three randomly selected nominating members will be notified two weeks in advance of the meeting that they will be called upon to present their charity of choice.
- Members selected to present their chosen charity are asked to keep this a secret so that membership will not know which three charities will be presented until they arrive at the meeting (with their blank $100 cheque in hand).
- After the presentations, a ballot is held and the charity with the most votes by simple majority will be the recipient.
- All members must then write out their cheque to the charity with the most votes – no exceptions.
- All the cheques are collected by the organizing committee and given to the chosen charity the following day.
- The recipient charity is then invited back to the next meeting to explain to the members the BIG impact your donations have made.
- The recipient charity is not eligible to be nominated/presented for two years. The other two charities may be nominated/presented again after one year.
- The selected organization must agree not to give out member information to any third parties except for CRA/tax purposes.
- Ties will be decided by further votes. If a tie persists, the membership will vote to randomly select one of the tied organizations by the toss of a coin.
- There is no proxy voting, but members who cannot attend must ensure their blank cheque (in a sealed envelope) reaches their ‘buddy’ or the meeting organizers before the meeting starts.
- Note: donations made directly to the recipient charity and online donations do not count towards your commitment – only cheques handed in to 100 Men Who Give a Damn – NL count.
- Each member must provide their mailing address in order for a tax receipt to be mailed – this is extremely important, we will not ask the charity to chase down dozens of mailing addresses.
- Tax receipts are provided by the charity directly to the members. 100 Men Who Give a Damn – NL is not responsible for sending out the tax receipts to members.
Please visit our FAQs page to get answers to all your questions!
Where It Happens
To minimize our costs, we depend on the generosity of those interested in hosting our meetings every three months.
If you have a venue and would like to host a meeting, please contact us and we can work out the details.
Do You Give a Damn?
- If you are a guy who cares about your community…
- If you want to be part of a powerful group of men that is committed to make a BIG impact…
- If you want to mix and mingle with the community leaders of today and tomorrow…
- If you want to learn more about the amazing work our local charities do…
- If you want 100% of your donation to go directly to a local charity…
… then maybe you give a damn too!
Visit our Join Us page for more information on becoming a member.
The next event is coming soon!